Many of us are familiar with at least one of the seven chakras. The third eye, our intuition center, tends to be the most spoken about chakra; however, all of the other chakras need our time, attention, and TLC, too!
If you have attended yoga or meditation classes, you have perhaps heard the teacher speaking about the chakras. Below, you will briefly discover what the chakras are, where they are located, and each of their main characteristics.
If you're curious about learning more about the chakra system, there are 3 must-read recommended books about the chakras for you to continue on your path of chakra discovery. There are also yoga classes for each of the seven chakras, if you'd like to learn more about them through movement, and experience.
What Are Chakras?
The chakra system can be thought of as energy centers within the body. The first discovery of the chakra system can be traced back to ancient Indian texts thought to be written about in 1500 BC.
Each of the 7 chakras can be thought of as individual energy centers, each having its own vibrational frequency. Every chakra has a specific function and purpose to regulate many processes in the human body from immune function to emotions to organ health. It is believed that when your seven chakras are open, your energy is free-flowing, and your mood is stable and positive and the body’s systems are working cohesively. Each serves a clear purpose in balancing different facets of our organs, emotions, and well-being.
The seven chakra centers are located between the crown of the head down to the base of the spine, each in their own unique spot.
A brief explanation about each chakra:
1. Root Chakra: Your root chakra is associated with your feelings of safety, grounding, and survival. This chakra is our foundational chakra and our anchor to the present world. Its element is Earth.
2. Sacral Chakra: The sacral chakra is associated with sexuality and feelings. Its element is water and it is motivated by pleasure. This chakra is the driving force for the enjoyment of life through the senses, whether it’s auditory, through taste, touch, or sight.
3. Solar Plexus Chakra: The solar plexus chakra’s center is near the naval and the main meanings associated with this chakra are accountability, mental ability, personal identity, and confidence. Its element is fire.
4. Heart Chakra: The heart chakra is not directly located where the physical heart is, but it is aligned at about the same height of the heart along the spine. It is associated with compassion, love, and beauty. The heart chakra’s element is air and its energy is associated with movement, connection, and breath.
5. Throat Chakra: The throat chakra is considered by some to be the center of human emotion. It is located in the throat region. The energy of the throat chakra is associated with communication, creativity, and self-expression. Its element is ether.
6. Third Eye Chakra: The third eye chakra is perhaps the most commonly talked about chakra. Its location is on the forehead between the brows. This chakra is associated with openness and imagination, it is also connected to cultivating wisdom and insight. Its element is light.
7. Crown Chakra: Wisdom is controlled through the crown chakra, which is also the 7th chakra. It is the most spiritual chakra of them all. Some describe this chakra as the gateway to the divine self and the connector to universal consciousness. Its element is the cosmos.
Recommended Chakra Reading List:
Whether you meditate frequently or are simply eager to learn about connecting your physical body with your spiritual being, reading more about the chakras is a brilliant way to gain more insight. If you are interested in practicing chakra-focused meditation or you are curious about tapping into and tuning your chakras to naturally lighten your mood and feel more harmonious inside we can highly recommend reading the books below.
Eastern Body, Western Mind: Psychology And The Chakra System As A Path To The Self - Anodea Judith
Chakra Awakening: Transform Your Reality Using Crystals, Color, Aromatherapy & the Power of Positive Thought - Margaret Ann Lembo
The Chakra Book: Energy And Healing Power Of The Subtle Body - Osho
Recommended Chakra Yoga Classes:
Yoga for the 1st Chakra with Elise Fabricant
Yoga for the 2nd Chakra with Elise Fabricant
Yoga for the 3rd Chakra with Elise Fabricant
Yoga for the 4th Chakra with Elise Fabricant
Yoga for the 5th Chakra with Elise Fabricant
Yoga for the 6th Chakra with Elise Fabricant
Yoga for the 7th Chakra with Elise Fabricant
By Heather Jacoby
Heather is the founder and creator of TheYogaTique.com. She is also a global citizen of 7 years and counting who has lived throughout SE Asia and Latin America. When she set out to live a life abroad she had the vision to create The Yogatique to connect yogis with online yoga studios to encourage everyone to take their yoga practice wherever life may take them, too.
Signup for info on the latest classes and discounts.
© COPYRIGHT 2021 YOGADOWNLOAD