To gain optimum results, we need to adopt a detox regime that conforms to the challenges that our bodies will face during each particular season. For instance, in frosty weathers, your body will crave food more often to maintain a healthy body temperature. However, constant eating will put your body into a continual digesting mode which depletes the amount of energy available for core functions which can lead to making you more vulnerable to diseases.
It is for this reason that our detox plan keeps us healthy, energetic and warm. It works by harnessing energy and optimizing food intake. By detoxifying, we stop resisting and simply allow our bodies to flow with seasonal changes.
Here are a few crucial considerations that will help you get the most out of your winter detox:
1. Try to retain as much body heat as much as possible by wearing warm clothes and socks both inside and outside your home. Try to opt for woollen garments as they keep you snugly warm while allowing your skin to sweat and breathe freely.
2. Take frequent warm baths or showers.
3. Drink lots of hot herbal teas packed with antioxidants, nutrients and a healthy proportion of caffeine.
4. Your skin excretes major toxins and contaminants by sweating, and since you don't sweat much in winters, you face the risk of these toxins building up in your skin. To do so, spend an hour in an infrared sauna now and then to help your skin filter out these toxins.
5. Opt for healthy soups instead of juices and smoothies.
6. Sit in front of a fireplace to relax.
7. Eat liver as it will nourish your overall immune system and cleanse your body from toxins.
8. Use activated bamboo charcoal to pull out impurities and toxins from your body. Several skincare products contain activated charcoal or you can consume it orally via capsules.
During winters we need large amounts of energy, and hence it is better to consume nutrient dense meals as opposed to raw vegetables and juices to keep you energetic all day long. Here are some warm foods that can provide you with sufficient amounts of energy to feel active.
As you wake up, go for these filling options that will jump start your metabolism and will provide you with enough energy to take on a hectic work day.
1. Vegan smoothie with banana, flax/ chia seeds, frozen blueberries, coconut water, protein powder and probiotics.
2. Chia Gingerbread shake
3. Peppermint hot chocolate
Following are delicious nutrient-packed options that are perfect for mid-day replenishment:
1. Savory Shake
2. Chickpea soup
3. Balsamic Miso root salad
4. Clean and roasted carrot soup.
5. You can choose between half a cup of cooked quinoa, brown rice or millet and a choice of 4 oz. Boiled or steamed fish, tofu or chicken or 1/4 cup of toasted walnuts and sunflower seeds or 2 tbsp. of Tahini.
*Add 1-2 cups of steamed veggies like broccoli, kale, onion and carrots seasoned with lemon juice, olive oil, grated ginger and fresh basil.
These dinner recipes are light on the stomach and will ensure that you have plenty of energy until morning. However, it is recommended that you have your dinner at 7 pm and refrain from eating anything afterwards so that you don't pack on pounds as you sleep.
1. Quinoa stuffed kabocha
2. Coconut poached salmon
3. Pan-steamed Chicken and Broccoli.
4. Choose between 1/2 a cup of boiled or steamed chicken, tofu or fish or 1/4 cup of toasted sunflower seeds or 2 tbsp. Tahini along with lightly sautéed or steamed vegetables like bok choy, kale, broccoli, onion, napa cabbage and carrots. You can also add half of a sweet potato or 1/2 cup steamed winter squash to this platter.
1. 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries that served at room temperature.
2. Winter veggie juice with carrots, spinach, celery, apple, lemon and ginger root.
3. Potassium broth
4. 1 cup miso broth with dulse.
5. A handful of nuts including walnuts and raw almonds.
6. Warm walnut lentil pate.
Amidst a demanding lifestyle filled with toxins, your bodies can use a little help now and then to sustain its vitality. Therefore, you can use these daily supplements to keep you up and running in frosty weathers.
1. 500-1000 mg of vitamin C (buffered ascorbic acid) and 400 mg magnesium citrate in the morning and afternoon for a healthy digestive system.
2. Probiotic in the morning.
3. B complex that will restore your nervous system allowing you to stay calm.
The key here is an intelligent use of food energetics to identify food options that provide you with nutrition without adding unhealthy carbohydrates, fats and calories. You should mix and match the options above to fit your mood so that you stay motivated to follow this re-inventive detox plan throughout the winter season.
By Audrey Throne
Audrey Throne is a mother and a professional blogger. She has completed her masters in English literature from university of Birmingham. As a blogger, she writes on health, technology as well as management. Find her on Twitter: @audrey_throne.
Signup for info on the latest classes and discounts.
© COPYRIGHT 2019 YOGADOWNLOAD