Philosophy, History & Theming
The Philosophy, History & Theming online course develops the skills and lexicon you need in order to convey complicated yoga philosophy with ease and finesse to a modern day audience. You come to understand how the history of yoga has developed and how each one of us is moving it forward and honoring the timeless tradition today. Through your study of essential yoga texts, you learn what it takes to embody the core philosophy of yoga and become a yogi living in the modern world, as well as how to give compelling dharma talks. This module also gives you the skills necessary to build your classes around a theme in order to educate the body, mind and spirit of the students who come to your classes.
In this module, you learn:
- The complete history of yoga, including: ancient vs. modern practice, where yoga came from, essential texts and teachers, how yoga has developed in the west
- The essential Yoga Sutras, including: an overview of the whole text, breakdowns of key sutras, their meaning, translation and how to teach them to students
- The essential Bhagavad Gita, including: an overview of the whole text, breakdowns of key sutras, their meaning, translation and how to teach them to students
- The essential Hatha Yoga Pradipika, including: an overview of the whole text, breakdowns of key sutras, their meaning, translation and how to teach them to students
- How to deliver engaging dharma talks that illuminate complex yoga philosophy in an engaging, accessible way for your students
This course features interactive testing and assignments that allow you to work with our esteemed mentors as you hone and refine your skills. Throughout the course, you are asked to upload video and written assignments that demonstrate your learning and development in these areas, while giving you an opportunity to receive helpful feedback from our mentors to promote growth. Upon successful completion, you receive a certificate saying you have demonstrated proficiency in the skills learned throughout this course.